Mittwoch, 25. August 2010

Win 7 upgrades of hell...

Not so long ago one of those incredibly "helpful" sales assistants at Mediamarkt told me that no, it is not possible to directly upgrade from Windoofs Vista to Windoofs to the power of seven. Let me just tell you now that that was a complete lie. It is possible to upgrade directly from Vista to Win 7 - but it takes time... lots and lots of time... to be precise: about 3 hours (not including the one other hour, you'll need for calming your nerves in between) ;-)
In this case it was a deinstalled Avira AntiVir on a Lenovo ThinkPad X300 that nearly brought me down. Yes, the programm had been deinstalled two years ago. No, there were no files left, but yes, Windoofs could not upgrade because it was absolutely certain that Avira was still an installed program. After mucking about in the registry (and ruthlessly deleating all keys refering to Avira) the whole thing suddenly worked without problem. Go figure...

On another small note: It's as certain now, as it will be without me signing the contract. I am going to teach a Creative Writing class at the university next semester. So, I guess, I'll be working on a course plan next week. Luckily, I managed to talk to Mr. McLaughlin today (who's already been teaching these classes for years now) and he agreed to go through my course plan with me and see if he could offer some advice. That's certainly helping me a lot with dealing with my nervousness right now. :-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen